Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Gibli


By Kayla
 
 
  On weekend, I went to Disneyland Resort in Anaheim with my closest friend. He came to a University around there to study as a trainee. He sounds like he's enjoying the life at here, so I was really glad to hear that. However, a thing I want to talk today isn't about Disney, it's a topic mostly used as a comparison with Disney (in Japan), Gibli. There's so many way to compare these two, but I'll talk that later.


  First of all, have you ever seen these characters?

 
  Up: My Neighbor Totoro (となりのトトロ)
  Down left: Princess Mononoke (もののけ姫)
  Down right: Howl's Moving Castle (ハウルの動く城)
 
  These are some of the famous character in Gibli. By the way, "Gibli" is the name of hot wind in the Sahara Desert. During the World War , this name was used by Italian military spy plane. Although, Director Hayao Miyazaki was a plane enthusiast, he knew about this and tagged as a studio name. The reason of "Gibli" is because he wanted to create a sensation to Japanese Animation. Gibli is well-known as Director Hayao Miyazaki, but I can say that a rudiment of Gibli was leaded by him and his buddy, and also a director, Isao Takahata. I highly recommend everyone to watch Gibli. It's not just fun, but also there's an appealing message in every movie!


  This time, I want to talk about my favorite Gibli movie, "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (風の谷のナウシカ)."


  I love the way she is drawn in the movie. She is smart, strong, brave, and full of kindness. Also, I don't know about the truth, but if you watch this movie, you can found the complaint of ecology (conservation of nature), and symbiosis between human and living things, I think...

  Main character is the woman in the picture, Nausicaa. She is the daughter of the chief of the village. Also, she is a wind charmer, and her swordplay is strong enough to straight fight against many soldiers. Moreover, because of her strong leadership, courageous, and caring personality, everyone love her, and children of the village yearn for her as a "princess sister."

  Shortly, story is the age of after a scientific civilization collapsed, covered with Unknown ecosystem, and Nausicaa was finding the way of how people and nature can live together. However, her village gets influenced by a war between two countries. Her village ruled by one of the country, and Nausicaa will be hostage of them. However, during the flight to their country, their plain will be attacked by creatures. The place she fell down was the world where creatures live. She was taught so many of truth from there, and tries to stop the war. While she is moving around, she meets with both sides of people, and she gets to know their secrets or plans. Well, from here, please see the movie. I saw hundreds of time, and cried most of the time! I hope you'll enjoy it and give me some comments or questions. :)

 
  Speaking about difference between Disney and Gibli, it's interesting to compare how women drop their tears. Frankly, Gibli has more reality than Disney. Crying person is not always beautiful, right? That's one of the reasons why I like Gibli.

  How beautiful she cries!!


  Now, look how she cries!!
 
  Did you see the difference? ^-^
 
Thank you for reading!
Sincerely,
Kayla

4 comments:

  1. By Rustam.
    Hi Kayla. Thank you for your interesting blog. Actually I know only one Japanese animation hero, his name is Naruto. I know him because my nephew watched carton "NARUTO". Maybe I misspell the name. Unconditionally Japanese animation is very good because it has exclusive style of painting and drawing. For example, people in cartons always with big eyes and when they are crying, tears from eyes fly up then down. It is funny.
    I know another interesting fact about Japanese animation. Everyone knows what PIXAR is. It is the animation company whose founder was Steve Jobs. Their works are "TOY STIRY", "MONSTERS UNIVERSITY", "FINDING NEMO" etc. When this company began to make her first steps. One Japanese animator, who was Steve Jobs' friend, influenced PIXAR's style of working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By Kayla

      Thank you for reading! It's correct! NARUTO! My friends like them too. I saw them only twice though. It's really famous topic on male and their costume is famous too! :) PIXAR is really familiar to everyone. Actually i like the light which stands on the letter "I" and become "I" itself. They always show that in the beginning of a movie. Do you know it?

      Delete
  2. By Grace:
    Hi, Kayla, thank you for sharing the beautiful story of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and its background information. I have listened to the original sound track of this movie before. Actually, Hayao Miyazaki is one of my favorite Japanese comics’ creators. I love My Neighbor Totoro and Laputa Castle in the Sky. Now I want to watch this movie after reading your interesting introduction^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By Kayla
      Thank you, Grace. I'm glad to hear that. :D I love Laputa too! Their story is so cute and brave! When I was little, I bought the neckless of the stone. LOL I wish I can fly like them. LOL my grammer are messed up, so I was happy that you could read it. :P I hope you can see the Nausicaa movie someday! let's talk about them!

      Delete