Thursday, October 25, 2012

Appropriate Residence

By Rustam Rakhmetov.

Hi everyone! 
No one can cast a shadow of a doubt on the fact that everyone struggle of looking for the place of living before coming at UCR Extension Center. There is is controversy among different people whether new students should be live in dorm or homestay, someone may live in rent apartment. Let's define all advantages of every possible residence, and elect the appropriate for you.

The first housing offer I received from UCR office was IRC (International Residence Center). Of course one can read all merits of this comfortable place on the official site of UCR Extension center (http://www.iep.ucr.edu/housing/irc.html). But today I want write real comment of real students who lived there. The most common demerit of aforementioned housing all students said is absence of kitchen room. I think it is very inconvenient because sometimes food from restaurants and fast food shops can bore or irritate all people. Occasionally students want to prepare food themselves because in this case they able to save money. In addition, in time of traditional holidays it is necessary for students to make special dishes, especially in religious holidays. As another disadvantage of place in question is dark rooms. One of my classmates, she is a girl, felt very uncomfortable because of color of the room. When she entered the room her state of mood changed worse. And she left this place as soon as possible. I think to live and study in the same place might be boring because people like changes. The only one benefit of IRC for me is convenient location. You can sleep as much as possible before beginning the classes, but some students who lives there all the same late.
My grade for IRC is 4 from 10.
Moreover another housing for students is IV (International Village). Very comfortable and convenient place for living. There are some places for entertainment like soccer field, small gym, TV lounge, ping-pong place and  pool table. The different from IRC is presence of kitchen. And it is very big plus, because as I mentioned before you can save your money and etc. But there some underprivilege of IV is that there is terrible smell. For people, especially for me, who is not used to being there it very sensitive and spent time inside this building is not pleasure. As another drawback is fair alarm. For first time it may seem funny. But when it happen so often and at the night when people have a rest is irritating and terrible.

My grade for IV is 6 from 10


In addition one may chose homestay. I think it is the best variant for who wants to improve his oral skills and to know American culture more deeper. In homestay family all your free time you can spend for studding because you do not need to clean all house, you do not need to prepare a meal, and you always can ask for help in confusing study material from your homestay parents. But in this case all depends on a family you live in. Some lucky student have a really good time with their homestay family. They are traveling, shopping together and making the different kind of dishes. But if you will be taken by not friendly family is the biggest mines than much more than all pluses. Some student said me that they ate separately from their family and they needed permeation to take even water from kitchen. Student should took a bus to go UCR. Of course he lived there very short time but the bad feeling do not leave him and he never go to homestay family because of bad experience.

My grade for homestay is 8 from 10
In my point of view one of the best housing is a renting apartment. There are a lot of choices among renting apartment. The renting is more cheaper than aforementioned housing if you cooperate with other students. But you can spend a lot of money for furniture and all devices your need for every day activity. The vice of renting apartment is the fact that students usually rent the apartment with countrymen. And they speak the same language, not English, that do not help learning English.


My grade for RA is 7 from 10
As you notice from my grade I graded the homestay the highest. And I would like to know your opinions!!!

5 comments:

  1. by:Rain

    I'm living in IRC now. I can't agree more about the problems you have said. But in my own opinion, living in dorm is good. You can take the reins of your time, and you can make friends easily here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By Rahman Seker

    Hi Rustam. I totally agree with you. Staying with home stay family is the best way to learn English for international students. I experienced it when I was here two years ago. I learned so much information about American cultures and their life styles. However, now I live in an apartment because I am married. It is better to live in an apartment for couples because they need to have a private life. I think home stay family is not convenient for couples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By: Yamakawa Kyohei
    Hi Rustam. Thank you for useful topic for us. I agree with your opinion about the homestay. The homestay is good chance to learn English, but it really depends on family's personality and mood. Actually, this is the reason I did not choose the homestay.
    By the way, the problem of fire alarm is alread not matter because there is a penalty for person who works fire alarm. And I hope that it never happen at midnight...

    ReplyDelete
  4. By Will
    Hi Rustam.I agree with your opinions about each living styles.I moved out from IV to an apartment since September.Because IV has bad smell which makes me really crazy.However,I think renting an apartment is cheaper than living in IV,even i paid fine and bought furniture.It's really save money.The only shortage I think is i have to get up early to go to school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By Kayla
    Hi, Rustam. Thank you for the interesting topic! I agree to your highest grade on homestay. I'm living in IV, and it is cheaper than homestay, but if I thought about a cost of foods and tools for the kitchen, and laundry etc, it will cost as same as homestay or even more. However, one thing that everyone who are home staying says that there's a freedom. Yes, I totaly agree for that. people who are homestay has limit on doing things. However, people who are living by themselves can create there own time schedule. I think this is the biggest difference.

    ReplyDelete