Saturday, November 17, 2012

SELF EDUCATION.

By Rustam Rakhmetov.

Hello everybody. In this blog I want to share with you how I have learned English. I have been learning English for two years. I remember the day when I began to learn this language. It is the tenth of October 2010. I tried to learn English three times but the first two was stopped by me because of my laziness. Then I asked the question myself, "Why do I study English?". I did not have exact answer. Now, I know to do something effectively, especially learn any language, people need an exact goal. If people have clear goal it is easy to reach it. My goal was to win scholarship in order to study my master degree in the USA. When I began to study my first textbook I read the assignment from the book and I could understand nothing. From this point I began self education.

In this blog I don not want to describe all troubles I face. I just would like to share some information that I think may be useful for student who want study English. I began from the materials which I used from my intermediate level of English because in the beginning I used materials on my native language and you do need them.

The first source I like very much is engVid. It is the site of free English video lessons. There are lots of topics  from "how to write essay" till basic grammar. The most important advantage of this site is that students can chose any topic they want study according their level of knowledge. There are three levels beginning, intermediate and advance. Another significant benefit of aforementioned source is big amount of teachers. People may chose any teacher they want. If some of the teachers seems boring or not clear, students can chose the teacher they like more. My favorite teacher is James and Ronnie. I like their lessons because they are very funny. When I watch their lessons I always smile because they usually use jokes. Another merit is that lessons are not too long. In average they last from ten till twenty minutes and student do not feel tired. It is very easy to follow this source just shut your facebook off and listen to the one lesson before going to bed. Some material may be familiar to you but repetition is also good education.

http://www.engvid.com/

Another useful website is TED. It the most interesting video source for me because sometimes watching news or TV programs may be boring or takes to much amount of time. Why is TED so interesting? In this website people share their ideas or works, inventions or solving some social troubles. Usually it is people from different parts from around the word. You may meet someone from you country watching this videos or learn some interesting ideas. In addition if people have difficulties with understanding speech's performance, they can turn on subtitles and in the bottom of your screen you can read text of their speeches. Moreover, after you will have already finished to watch video do not turn off your video player. Read the comments under the video, usually that kind of video are watched by professors or smart people and they write very good comment. Sometimes you can read very interesting discussion. You will not read stupid teenager comments on not understandable slang. It can help you to develop your creative thinking. Just do not use "youtube" to watch stupid jokes, use TED!!!

http://www.ted.com/

Super source! The website kickstarter. I think all people like creative individuals and if you also have new ideas or inventions you can use this site. Actually, in this site inventors show their invention and look for financial support from reach people. I like this site because I can learn new ideas and the most remarkable point I like is the fact that all creative people so positive that charge me positive too. You can read articles and watch video that will improve your reading and listening skills. Who knows, maybe someday you can met "new Steve Jobs" on this site!

http://www.kickstarter.com/

There is short list I use. Here you are!!! I will be glad if you will find some interesting for yourself!

If you like psychology it will be interesting for you!
http://www.psychologytoday.com/

Short tests for TOEFL, GRE, GMAT. I'm sure it is necessary for students who want to continue study in the USA.
http://www.english-test.net/

It can help people while writing essay!!! Transition words...
https://www.msu.edu/~jdowell/135/transw.html#anchor1696929

10 universities with free online courses
1. UC Berkeley webcast.berkeley.edu/
2. MIT Open Courseware ocw.mit.edu/courses/
3. Carnegie Mellon's Open Learning Initiativeoli.web.cmu.edu/openlearning
4. Utah State OpenCourseWare ocw.usu.edu/front-page/Courses_listing 
5. Tufts OpenCourseWare ocw.tufts.edu/CourseList
6. Openlearn openlearn.open.ac.uk/course/index.php
7. JHSPH OCW ocw.jhsph.edu/topics.cfm
8. Connexions cnx.org/content/
9. Sophia sofia.fhda.edu/gallery/ 
10. University of Washington Computer Science & Engineeringwww.cs.washington.edu/education/course-webs.html


As you notice we can find a lot of sources and most of them are free!!! Don not waste time study NOW!!!

3 comments:

  1. By Hardy

    Thanks Rustam to share with us all these sources! Personnally I've used enVid and I still watch TED videos which are really instructive not only for English learners but also to anyone who will to be aware about diverse social and scientific topics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By Junyang

    I agree that these sources are great for self-education. Now if only would could somehow get a certificate for using these sources. I feel that the rewards of education for the mind is enough reason to do it, but I feel that "free" education is not the same as if someone has to pay. The "free" education is missing a certification, such as a degree or as I like to call it a "hunting license" for a job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By: Grace
    Rustam, thank you to share these websites for us. Internet is good way to get more knowledge. I usually like watch TED. There are many lectures from Princeton and other famous universities. We can get many basic knowledge of different subjects. And the short test for TOEFL and GRE website is also very useful. Thanks for your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete